The Specter Family Blog

Matt -- Steph -- Faith -- Mari -- Robby -- Hannah -- Salsa -- and........



Saturday, October 2, 2010

My RedHawk Experience

This is a bit of a tongue-in-cheek reference to Team Towner's latest blog entry. They get to go to Nebraska games - big time college football - one of the premier experiences in the nation.

Today, dad and I took Faith and Mari up to Oxford for the big Miami-Kent State game.

Stand back.

Okay, in fairness, I used to go to Miami games a lot, back when my brother was in college there. It is, at its best, a wonderful football atmosphere, a beautiful location, just on a small scale. Which is a good thing.

But the team has struggled of late and the energy seemed a bit lacking today. Admittedly it was a typical early October day in Ohio - temp in the upper 50s, overcast, steady rain. But after just having read Gina's post, I couldn't help but compare. At any rate, it was a good day, the girls were wonderful, and we got to see cousin Kevin march - very entertaining Queen show, I must say.

Some pics - enjoy, Gina and Cliff...

Dad sprung for some sweatshirts for the girls - and it was a good thing too, they would have been absolutely drenched if he hadn't:



Big crowd for the opening kickoff:



When the rains came, it REALLY emptied out:



We had the whole place to ourselves.



Time to get out of the rain - game over. Miami won, in case you needed to know.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Wow, please tell me that Miami has better crowds than that when it doesn't rain. We had bigger crowds at Morningside, and that was in the lowly NAIA. Anyway, glad you had fun despite the rain. Thanks for the shout-out to my blog post. :)

By the way, I love the over-the-top grins on the girls' faces in that last picture--priceless!

The Specter Family said...

They filled the place up back in the Roethlisberger days, and even before that they had good crowds. I can't say if this was normal or not, I just know that the team has been bad for a couple years and that the outlook was not good for this year. My cousin Kevin made an offhand comment at dinner afterwards, which I didn't hear clearly but I think basically said all the campus cares about now is the hockey team. Go figure.

Matt